Community

May Day in NYC

may day 2014

Left Labor Project urges you to MAKE THURSDAY A MAY DAY TO REMEMBER

MAY 1, 2014, 5:00 pm, NEW YORK CITY HALL!

Join the NYC Central Labor Council, DC37, 1199, UFT, NYSNA, SEIU 32BJ, and many other union locals along with Domestic Workers United, Taxi Workers Alliance, Make the Road NY,  NY Immigration Coalition, NY Communities for Change, US Labor Against the War NYC, and MANY OTHER LOCAL MOVERS AND SHAKERS!

(See attached flyer for longer list of endorsers)

MAY DAY 2014 demands LABOR RIGHTS, IMMIGRANT RIGHTS, JOBS FOR ALL!

This will be the broadest May Day rally in decades, with the participation of the majority of the city’s unions, and advocates for fair contracts, peace, justice, equality and human rights.

Take 4,5,6 to Brooklyn Bridge, R to City Hall, 2,3 to Park Place, A,C,J to Chambers or Fulton, E, PATH to World Trade.

Look for our Left Labor Party contingent on Broadway and join us!

( Download the flyer here )

Happy May Day,
Larry Moskowitz, Left Labor Project

Leadership Circle Emerging for PPSFL Action

Have you heard about PPSFL Action yet? This new 501(c)(4) organization will support PPSFL by educating and advocating to our elected representatives. Leslie Danks Burke, Board Chair of PPSFL Action, says, “PPSFL is building in an incredible way. At the same time, there are active forces at work to dismantle what we are building.”

PPSFL Action is building a Leadership Circle to support this important work. The group includes community leaders — professionals, activists, philanthropists, elected officials, and scholars — who are dedicated to publicly standing with Planned Parenthood and make a pledge of $1,000 over two years.

Funds raised will help build grassroots support for PPSFL, and let our elected officials know that our community supports Planned Parenthood politically. Contributions to PPSFL Action are not tax-deductible; they fund our effective, citizen-based advocacy and lobbying efforts. To find out more about our Leadership Circle and PPSFL Action, please contact Alicia Kenaley at alicia.kenaley@ppsfl.org.

Sign up for updates from Planned Parenthood of the Finger Lakes to get more updates like this one.

Make an online donation of any size to Planned Parenthood.

Santa Fe signal boost: HITIP

If you’re in Santa Fe, here’s your chance to get to know the awesomeness of my friend Issa Nyaphaga and his activist work. If you’re not in Santa Fe, please forward this to anyone you know who is, or otherwise help to get the word out. Thank you, peace!

Issa hitip benefit

Thursday, 17 @ 7PM
The Screen
1600 St Michaels, Santa Fe, NM 87505
manager@thescreensf.com / 505 473 6084

Synopsis:
Radio Taboo is a development and documentary film starring Issa Nyaphaga. A Santa Fe based artist, activist, political cartoonist & a global community organizer who is building a community radio station in his small village in Cameroon (West Africa). Radio Taboo will be broadcasted by the locals for the locals to address Human Rights issues and educate the rural communities on issues that are often too Taboo to talk about, and will also fight isolation.”

About the film: – www.radiotaboo.org

Sponsored by National Geographic CrossRoads
Co-produced by Issue TV & HITIP
Directed by Sophie Rousmaniere
35 mn – (English, French, Pidgin & Tikar)

Suggested donation: $10 or your hourly wage

www.hitip.org

Help needed for Ithaca-based Queer Conference

To the Ithaca community,

We are a committee of Cornell students interested in planning an Ithaca-based regional queer conference for the next academic year. We are making an open call for anyone in the larger Ithaca community to become involved with the planning and implementation of this conference. There are many ways you can get involved! If you’re interested, please fill out this survey (http://goo.gl/uIykV9) by March 30th at 11:59pm (if this message reaches you after that date, please fill it out anyways! We want to hear from you!). After we receive responses, we will schedule an open planning meeting during the second weekend of April. The easiest way to help, however, is to forward this message along. We hope you can help us spread the word that way!

The conference is expected to be hosted at the Cornell campus and run from a chosen Friday night until the following Sunday evening. It will include activists, speakers and performers from the local, regional and larger communities, and it will be open to all, regardless of sex, gender, sexuality, age, class, (dis)ability status, citizenship or any other aspect. Some of the goals of the conference are:

– To include, welcome and represent all forms of queerness. By queerness we understand all kinds of divergences from norms around sex, gender, sexuality, intimacy, pleasure, love, relationships, family and kinship.

– To create a safe space for queer people in the area to meet each other and share their knowledge and experiences.

– To address intersecting and hierarchical forms of oppression as they play out within and without the queer community.

– To create an environment conducive to critical examination of ourselves, our communities and the larger society.

Once again, please let us know if you would like to be involved. This is an intersectional and inclusive conference, and we think it is necessary to represent as many diverse backgrounds and perspectives as possible, so we can together create a safe and long-awaited space in our region that caters to the needs of the queer community at large.

For any questions, e-mail ithacaqueer@gmail.com.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Bailey Dineen
Betrearon Getachew Tezera
Justin Kondrat
Nathan Gelb-Dyller
Sam Naimi
Stephanie Hobbs
Xiana García Freire

Postable intersectional social response graphics

I don’t know what else to call these? They’re very specific, what can I say. I made them to post on Pinterest and Twitter. I suppose they’re a little passive aggressive, but I’m not as confrontational as I used to be back in my Flickr heyday, and I like the idea of these perhaps being reusable and less direct than having on-the-spot dialogues. I don’t like making folks feel attacked or making them feel obliged to engage in dialogue. But I don’t mind if they see something I post.

This one is for Pinterest. I admit it, I like tipis. But they are not cool. Consider this a PSA. #cultural appropriation #racism

This one is for Pinterest. I admit it, I like tipis. They’re beautiful. But they are not something white people should use decoratively. Tents are fine, tipis, not fine. Consider this a PSA. #cultural appropriation #racism #interior design

This one is also for Pinterest. I never want to call anyone on these things, and I can't hide or block particular images (I think?). I guess I just wish folks cared more about whether interior designs include corpses. #fur #skin #rug #hide #leather #head #hunting #throw #sheepskin #lambskin

This one is also for Pinterest. I never want to call anyone on these things, and I can’t hide or block particular images (I think?). I guess I just wish folks cared more about whether interior designs include corpses. #fur #skin #rug #hide #leather #throw #sheepskin #wool #sheep #animal #lambskin #vegan #violence #ethics

Dudes, please. Just do this. I shouldn't have to say it. #mansplaining #sexism #patriarchy #privilege #communication #microaggressions #equality #feminism

Dudes, please. Just do this. I shouldn’t have to say it. #mansplaining #sexism #patriarchy #privilege #communication #microaggressions #equality #feminism

I’m going to go post these on Pinterest right now, and will probably continue to do so whenever I’m feeling annoyed by photos of tipis and sheepskins, and whenever I’m getting particularly tired of the #mansplaining.

(I love everyone, by the way. I live by Thanissaro Bhikkhu’s words, “We should regard those who point out our faults as if they were pointing out treasure” and work hard at rooting out and working against my own racist cultural appropriation, my own whitesplaining, and my own oppression of animals of many species, including sweatshop workers and other humans. So call this a cultural critique, not a personal one. Please know that I’m taking issue here with actions and not people, and that I critique my own actions even more critically. These graphics are offered in a spirit of good humor and arty experimentation, as a public way to work out a frustration with something happening in a public forum. Peace and love!)

I have more of these planned, I think. Let me know if you have any intersectional gripes you want drawn / written, or make your own and tell me about them. If you know of other art like this I’d love to hear about it.

And please tell me what you think of these. I’m deciding if I want to be at all negative; I’d been trying so hard to be positive for a while that I was lacking in honesty, but I’m still very much up in the air about it. Thanks for your opinions and ideas!

Animal rights vs. Animal welfare

animal rights vs animal welfare
Evolve Campaigns made this great viral graphic comparing animal rights and animal welfare. I’ve seen it around for a while, and have always thought it did a good job of making the distinction clear. So when I saw it on Pinterest I gave it a heart!

Then I read the comments. I don’t usually engage like this, anymore! But I couldn’t help it, I had to dive in.

It’s interesting to me that folks see veganism and animal rights as some kind of choice of animals over humans, when humans are animals, and so many vegans are also human rights advocates for this reason (and also because they’re, you know, generally decent people who are working on becoming less oppressive). I don’t think that was ever an issue for me. My issue was that animals were tasty. But in any case, I don’t think any of these issues are good reasons for eating someone.

Save the date for the International Day of Peace: September 21, 2014

internationaldayofpeace.org

From Wikipedia:

The International Day of Peace, sometimes unofficially known as World Peace Day, is observed annually on 21 September. It is dedicated to world peace, and specifically the absence of war and violence, such as might be occasioned by a temporary ceasefire in a combat zone for humanitarian aid access. The day was first celebrated in 1982, and is kept by many nations, political groups, military groups, and peoples. In 2013, for the first time, the Day was dedicated by the Secretary-General of the United Nations to peace education, the key preventive means to reduce war sustainably.

Read more