Community

I may not have money but I have HTML

If you can’t contribute, please consider passing these links on. These are all such awesome folks, and they need support!

Chart Tompkins County’s future

Sorry to be posting this a bit late!

PUBLIC INPUT SOUGHT FOR
TOMPKINS COUNTY COMPREHENSIVE PLAN

How can we make Tompkins County a place where:

• Economic prosperity is accessible to all?
  • Natural features and working rural landscapes are preserved and enhanced?
  • The entire community is prepared for the economic, environmental, and social impacts of climate change?
  • The built environment promotes safety and daily physical activity?

More

New Talking Circles on Race and Racism in Ithaca

Ithaca’s Multicultural Resource Center is having a new round of Talking Circles on Race and Racism and I can’t recommend them highly enough! I am so grateful to all of the organizers and participants of this amazing program. I know it helped me to open my eyes (again and again and again…)

Quick links from awesome people

Here are some of the very cool things that have landed in my in-box in the past few days. Had to share!

• Reverend Billy Vs. Robobees: ‘This is a film by Stop Shopping Choir member and Ethiopian-American activist Theodros Tamirat. In it, Reverend Billy & the Stop Shopping Choir marched bee-pollinated food into the Micro Robotic Lab at Harvard University. The lead researcher in this project has received public accolades and money from Navy, Air Force and the notorious drone designers DARPA. His scientists are designing a HoneyBee robot that would artificially pollinate the factory farms of the future, while its possible military uses stop at the word “Surveillance.”‘ Help finance the Third HoneyBeeLujah RoboBee Exorcism here.
  • Astraea Foundation is seeking donations. Help support their excellent work for queer folks here.
  • Video: “Why Are We Stuck in Climate Denial?”
    “This salon-style event was hosted by Gay Nicholson of Sustainable Tompkins. To begin the discussion, Nancy Menning (Philosophy and Religious Studies) of Ithaca College, and Dave Wolfe (Horticulture) and Lauren Chambliss (Atkinson Center for a Sustainable Future) of Cornell University provided some insight into the complex and often subtle explanations for denial, and approaches for moving beyond denial to address important questions regarding solutions.” Other talks: May 8: Can business and technology save us? May 29: Will government intervene? June 19: Is it up to the citizenry? Click more info on the video for details on upcoming events.
  • Queer Women Who Tech Summit New York JUNE 19-22 // NYU LAW SCHOOL // NEW YORK “The Lesbians Who Tech Summit is the only event focused on increasing visibility and tech participation in two historically underrepresented communities: women and LGBTQ. The Summit brings together hundreds of queer women in tech (and the people who love them), for the most unique technology conference ever. We’ll highlight incredible queer women who are the next generation of technical leaders, and the people who have paved the way.”
  • Information Session: NY State of Health Marketplace: “Come and learn about how the Affordable Care Act affects you, your family and your community please come to this information session on Thursday, June 26 from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. at GIAC… Refreshments will be served.”
  • The New Black is airing on PBS’ Independent Lens, and is up for an Audience Award. Click here to vote! “Centering on the historic fight to win marriage equality in Maryland, this documentary takes viewers into the pews, the streets, and kitchen tables to look at how the African American community grapples with the gay rights issue.” Click here to view a TED Talk by the director, Yoruba Richen.

Hm, that was a lot of stuff! Sorry for the long post. Hope these sorts of posts are of interest to folks; let me know what you think!

Juneteenth coming up in Ithaca

Southside Community Center will conduct its annual Juneteenth Festival on Saturday, June 21st from 11am to 6pm. Juneteenth is the oldest known celebration of the legal emancipation of enslaved Black people in the United States. Not only is it a celebration of remembrance of the rich history of African Americans in this country, but also a celebration of our achievements in the continued struggle against oppression. This year’s theme is Ujamaa: Economic Empowerment and Entrepreneurship. The festival will include games for children, a bounce house, face painting, live music, food, arts and crafts, and workshops on financial literacy, starting a business with no money down, designing sneakers, and protecting intellectual property. More

The Listening Workshop June 28

I’ve been to this. It’s awesome.

Put a space between stimulus and response
come to the:

THE LISTENING WORKSHOP

Saturday June 28th
Time: 9:00 AM –1:00 PM
Cost: FREE
Location: Ithaca Community Childcare Center (IC3) 579 Warren Road Ithaca,NY 14850
Directions: Turn East off Rt 13 onto Warren Road. Go .4 mile to IC3. It is on the left,just past the light (between Cayuga Medical Center and BOCES)

Please Bring your own beverage or snacks

Please be 10 minutes early. We will be starting promptly at 9:00am.

Please register by emailing your name and the number of people attending tothelisteningworkshop@gmail.com
For those that choose to attend please read on:

Here is our promise: You will walk away from Saturday’s workshop with a life altering skill that if practiced and applied, will shorten the time between conflict and resolution,build intimacy and enhance performance and productivity in all areas of your life. Yes we know that is a bold promise. Please note where it says: “if practiced and applied,” this skill is very simple and it is not easy.

Please be 10-15 minutes early so you have plenty of time to get a chair,sign-in, get a name tag. We are going to start promptly at 9,so we can be done promptly at 1!

During the coming weeks :
Take note of the things in your life that you are dealing with, or you really care about and the typical conversations in your life and how they normally go.

Yoga Event to Benefit Ithaca Health Alliance, 6/21 9:30am

Join the Finger Lakes Yoga Alliance and yoga teachers from around the region in the annual 108 Sun Salutations event to welcome the Summer Solstice and support the Ithaca Health Alliance.

Students will be guided through the sun salutes by certified yoga teachers. The Sun Salutes will be followed by some cooling counter poses, and a long Sivasana (corpse pose).  Kids activities will organized during the Sun Salutes by Anna from Anna’s Movement Arts.

More

Help girls surf the crimson wave

Days For Girls Sewing Event, May 16-17th at All Saints Church in Lansing: Help make cloth pads for young women to use when they’re menstruating.

What if not having sanitary supplies meant DAYS without school, DAYS without income, DAYS without leaving the house? Girls use leaves, mattress stuffing, newspaper, corn husks, rocks, anything they can find…but still miss up to 2 months of school every year. Worse, girls are often exploited in exchange for hygiene. It turns out this issue is a surprising but instrumental key to social change for women all over the world. The poverty cycle can be broken when girls stay in school.

Can’t sew? No problem! “Non-sewers can help cut and iron or donate toward the 100% cotton and flannel fabrics that we will use.”

Download the poster here.