Community

Morning TNR: Meet Mochi!

Mochi

Mochi is a black and white feral. He’s at least half a year old if not a year and a half — I’m bad at keeping track of these things. I think he may have been born in our garage. He has several siblings who live here, too, and probably other family members.

Mochi

Mochi is brave and curious and sweet, interested in humans but scared of us. When I come to feed the ferals he and one of his brothers are the ones who may even walk toward me instead of running away or just watching from a safe distance. I used to watch them climb trees and play chase, though they do less of that now that they’re growing up.

I just trapped him and brought him to the wonderful people at SPCA of Tompkins County, who — for free! — are going to neuter him, give him shots, and if he has fleas, fix that too. Whoo hoo for Mochi! See you at 6pm, buddy.

WordPressTumblrEmailShare

Meet Sassafras!

Sassafras
This weekend a cute vanilla cat showed up in our driveway. He was super-friendly, coming over to be petted and cuddled. He let our toddler pet him; he let me pick him up and pet his tummy and put him over my shoulder like a baby. He purred deeply. He followed us up and down the driveway.

He was obviously not neutered, and looked like he had some eye issues and I think fleas. His face and tail were scratched up and some fur was missing. He was skinny. And he had tummy troubles, and an uncomfy-looking butt (sorry if this is TMI).

Sassafras

I now knew who had been pooping all over the place for the past week.

It’s been getting cold out at night. I thought of this sociable, lovey cat who really did not feel very good probably being left out in the cold again.
Sassafras

I reasoned that I’d rather worry about a worried human than about this cat having another night out there.

So, I called Tompkins County SPCA and asked if it made sense to bring him in. They said if he was a house cat and someone called in looking for him, they’d give him needed veterinary care and neuter him before giving him back.

All things considered, I think this was the best decision for the cat, and the cat is the one with less power in this situation. I try to side with those with less power. So, sorry human, if you’re out there: your cat has taken a trip to the SPCA and may go up for adoption if he isn’t claimed. : /

Sassafras

I took the liberty of naming this dude Sassafras; it seemed to suit his gregarious nature and appearance, somehow. I know that if he does go up for adoption, he’ll get a wonderful home and a happy life — he’s a lovely, sweet cat who obviously thrives on attention. If I hadn’t brought him in so quickly, I would have fallen in love. I think I already kinda did. Like all cats I’ve encountered and had some connection with, I’ll probably remember him forever.

Sassafras

Good luck, Sassafras. Whether it’s back where you one day came from, or in a new home, may your future be full of clean floors and enticing toys, clawable carpets and scratching posts, delicious food, cool fresh water, open windows in the summertime, lots of play and cuddle sessions, and safe afternoon naps in warm pools of sunlight, in your very own territory, surrounded by your very own human family. I’ll be glad to think of you there, rather than worrying about you roaming our driveway all winter.

Thank you to SPCA of TC for taking in Sassafras and providing his medical care free of charge! I could not help all of these cats without this incredible service and support. If you can, please consider donating to Tompkins County SPCA, Browncoat Cat Rescue, or another local animal rescue or shelter operation. The folks that do this work, and the animals who depend on them, really need us to pitch in. Whether it’s a few dollars, a few hours of your time, or a donation of towels or food, your contributions can make a huge difference.

Ithaca: Citizenship Education Program

The Dorothy Cotton Institute (DCI) is offering the Citizenship Education Program over 3 Sundays: Sept. 21, 28, and Oct.5, at beautiful La Tourelle Inn on Rt. 96B South Hill.

Please read the flyer and share this with anyone you know who wants to

• develop their ability to take direct action nonviolently,

• communicate effectively and build support for the issues they care about,

• get beyond internal, interpersonal and institutional stumbling blocks for positive change,

• exercise their rights, use their power and make a difference in this world.

Coming up in November: Canandaigua Treaty Commemoration

Canandaigua Treaty Commemoration: November 11, 2014

The Canandaigua Treaty brought about peace between the Six Nations (Seneca, Cayuga, Onondaga, Oneida, Mohawk, and Tuscarora) and the U.S., and was negotiated and signed by sachems representing the Grand Council of the Six Nations and Colonel Timothy Pickering, the official agent of George Washington.  It also recognized the sovereignty of the Six Nations to govern and set laws as individual nations.  This yearly commemoration is a time of rededication of the agreement, helping to ensure that the “chain of friendship” and agreements between nations remain current and vibrant.

This event is organized by the Friends of Ganondagan and is made possible by the collaboration of Canandaigua City School District, City of Canandaigua, and the Friends of Ganondagan; and sponsored by the Haudenosaunee Peace & Trade Committee, Mohawk Nation Council, Tonawanda Seneca Nation, and the Tuscarora Nation of Indians, and Seneca Nation of Indians.

Schedule

COMMEMORATION OF THE CANANDAIGUA TREATY OF 1794

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 in Canandaigua, New York

1:30 pm:  Parade from W. Gibson Street to Ontario County Courthouse, 27 N. Main Street

2:00 pm:  Commemoration Ceremony; front lawn of Ontario County Courthouse

Activities at the Canandaigua Primary School, 96 W. Gibson Street:

4:30 pm:  Potluck Dinner; Cafeteria(bring a squash dish or pie to share)

6:00 pm:  Keynote speaker (TBA) Auditorium

All activities are free and open to the public. A Native American Arts and Crafts sale will take place from 10:30 am – 6:00 pm at the School.

Every vote counts, Ithaca

ITHACA CITY JUDGE CANDIDATES DEBATE
Tuesday, August 26 @ 5:30 pm
GIAC, 301 W. Court Street, Ithaca

Three Candidates: Rick Wallace vs. Kristine Shaw vs. Seth Peacock

City Judges make decisions that
impact the lives of individuals & families.
We need a justice system that is just & equal for all.
YOUR OPINION MATTERS!  YOUR VOTE COUNTS!

Sponsored by:
ACTION (Activists Committed To Interupting Oppression Now), Community Leaders Of Color, Multicultural Resource Center, Ithaca Asian American Association, and Latino Civic Association.

Rock the vote for the Democratic Primary: Tuesday, September 9

Feed Your Heart

ari-and-IHA-tote

Thanks to Ithaca Health Alliance for bringing our company, Shirari Industries, in on their 2014 tote bag design project! The bags are being distributed with free veggies in them at Congo Square Market.

We donated our services (some vector, layout, and coloring work) to put more of the budget toward printing. Thanks to the folks at Standard Art Supply & Souvenir, who donated 55 of the bags they printed! Here’s to a healthy Ithaca for all.

“Feed Your Heart” at Congo Square Market
Tomorrow, Friday, August 15th
from 4pm – 8pm at the park next to Southside Community Center, 305 S. Plain St, Ithaca

Market is open every Friday from 4-8pm til September.

Enjoy FREE music, health services & heart-healthy veggies from the market’s Fresh Fruits and Vegetables Stand (grown by Youth Farm Project)!
* Conscious hip hop with Irie Member
* Free introductory acupuncture with Anthony Fazio, L.Ac. (6-8pm)
* Heart health info from Phoebe Brown of Cayuga Medical Center
* Talk with your local herbalists and farmers!

On the 15th it will be “Senior Night” featuring a spoken word performance by Dubian Ade and Motown and Oldies with DJ Moe!

Ithaca Health Alliance’s Community Health Education Program is working with Congo Square Market to promote and celebrate a healthier future for our community and generations to come. We’ll highlight medical and holistic care that is helpful for your heart health!

Here Anthony Fazio shares the Chinese medical perspective: The Heart expresses consciousness, joy, and sadness; all contribute to its good health. For a healthy heart, Chinese Medicine promotes exercise, good diet, rest and proper life practices (meditation, massage, acupuncture). Those with heart conditions can benefit from acupuncture and Chinese herbs. Preventive healthcare such as acupuncture and Chinese Medicine are far easier, less costly, and less invasive. All types of medicine can be of assistance; a multi-level approach is optimal. Anthony is a local acupuncturist at Peaceful Spirit Acupuncture, teaches Tai-Chi classes at Sunrise Yoga Center and volunteers on the Board of Directors and as an acupuncture provider volunteer at Ithaca Health Alliance’s Free Clinic.

Congo Square Market Mission:
* to build a stronger self-reliant local community,
* to develop Southside’s economic base,
* and to encourage community & personal health. www.facebook.com/CongoSquareIthaca

Ithaca Health Alliance Education Tents are made possible in part by Tompkins Charitable Gift Fund. Partners & Contributors: Cayuga Medical Center: Cayuga Center for Healthy Living, Congo Square Market, Ithaca Health Alliance: Community Health Education & Ithaca Free Clinic, Shirari Industries, Southside Community Center, Standard Art Supply & Souvenir, Whole Community Project, Youth Farm Project & community donors.

Yes to Grandmas, No to Drones

From the Syracuse Peace Council: Drone Resister Sentenced to One Year in Prison Base’s Order of Protection Begs Judgement:

On July 10, grandmother of three, Mary Anne Grady Flores was sentenced to one year in prison for being found guilty of violating an order of protection. A packed courtroom of over 100 supporters was stunned as she was led away, and vowed to continue the resistance.

These orders of protection, typically used in domestic violence situations or to protect a victim or witness to a crime, have been issued to people participating in nonviolent resistance actions at Hancock Air Base since late 2012. The base, near Syracuse NY, pilots unmanned Reaper drones over Afghanistan, and trains drone pilots, sensor operators and maintenance technicians. The orders had been issued to “protect” Colonel Earl Evans, Hancock’s mission support commander, who wanted to keep protesters “out of his driveway.”

Mary Anne began her sentencing statement with, “Your honor, a series of judicial perversions brings me here before you tonight.” She concluded that the “final perversion is the reversal of who is the real victim here: the commander of a military base whose drones kill innocent people halfway around the world, or those innocent people themselves who are the real ones in need of protection from the terror of US drone attacks?”

The orders of protection are being challenged on many legal grounds.

Mary Anne had been issued a temporary order in 2012. The next year, she photographed a nonviolent witness at the base, not participating herself because she did not want to violate the order. The irony is that those who actually participated in the action were acquitted, while Mary Anne was charged with violating the order.

Even though the pre-sentencing report recommended no jail time, Judge Gideon sentenced Mary Anne to the maximum of a year in prison. As he imposed his sentence, the judge referred to his previous Hancock decision. He had stated then and insinuated now, “This has got to stop.”

In addition, Mary Anne was fined $1000 plus a $205 court surcharge and a $50 fee to have her DNA collected.

Her verdict is being appealed.

How you can help

1. Send letters of support to Mary Anne Grady Flores c/o Onodaga County Department of Correction, PO Box 143, Jamesville, NY 13078.
  2. Mary Anne’s lawyer is appealing this case and financial support would be gladly accepted. Make checks out to Ithaca Catholic Worker (with Mary Anne’s name in the memo) and send them to 133 Sheffield Road, Ithaca, New York 14850.
  3. Help spread this Democracy Now link around: Grandmother Sentenced to 1 Year in Prison After Protest at U.S. Drone Base — and ask your local media to cover this situation. Write something yourself if you can.

These suggestions are amended from a Facebook post by Ellen Grady. She can be reached at demottgrady6 at gmail dot com for more information on upcoming trials and related support efforts.

Free Food in Tompkins County

Food pantries, hot meals, farm-fresh local vegetables, and other healthy sustenance is very available in Tompkins County – never let yourself or your family (or your neighbors) go without!

If you don’t know it already (or if you know people who might need this information…) please check out Friendship Donations Network. Here is a listing of pantries and meals and pick-up points, with eligibility information.

For more info on local surpluses and resources, connect with Shira and I via Share Tompkins. We have an active email list and Facebook Group where folks in the community can help get out the word about sharing / mutual aid opportunities, and free housing and food and so on.

If you’d rather give than get at the moment, you could click here to contribute to Friendship Donations Network or here to support Greenstar Community Projects. You can also help to get out the word about FDN’s new Food Hubs, front porches where you can pick up fresh produce. I’m pretty sure there’s a food donation box at Greenstar, though I’m not sure which group is running it. If anyone has good info about food donations and hunger reduction efforts, please leave a comment – thanks!