Here are some stories about humans playing God. (Note that you could replace the word “God” with the word “Evolution” and/or “Nature” and you get the same effect from these articles, if you’re an atheist.)
- Cornell University plays God with deer. Good luck with that.
- Tracking and combatting our current mass extinction: We’re trying to save bird and mammal species, but we may need to replace them. (a.k.a. more humans playing God)
- “Panda Breeding Programs Are Way More Successful Than You Realize” – Really interesting view of panda conservation programs. Humans are weird, man.
- Ready to Move Animals Around the Planet for “Aggressive Conservation”? (io9)
- Humans Have Caused 322 Animal Extinctions in the Past 500 Years (io9)
- 11 Things You Should Know Before Planning Your Next Trip To The Zoo: Honestly I haven’t read this yet but I know the story behind zoos is very grim, so I think I should share it. Hope it’s a good/depressing/useful read. #boycottzoos #govegan
See also (unrelated links!):
- 40 LGBTQ-Friendly Picture Books for Ages 0-5 (Autostraddle)
- Flamingo Rampant Book Club! Kickstarter “Empowering, celebratory LGBTQ2S-themed kids’ picture books for 4-8 year olds, delivered right to your home or school every other month.”
- Major science magazine uses sexualizing, objectifying image to depict trans people. Hmmmm.
- Oh, animals don’t have emotions, eh? Okie dokie!
- The Original Geo-Engineers, Or, How to Save the Iconic West From the Cow: “beavers created rich green habitat out of overgrazed and burned-over land”
- “Mom fights to keep autistic son’s chickens” (Remember the veteran and his therapy duck friends?)
- “Female octopuses have the saddest life spans”: “For many a female octopus, laying eggs marks the beginning of the end. She needs to cover them and defend them against would-be predators. She needs to gently waft currents over them so they get a constant supply of fresh, oxygenated water. And she does this continuously, never leaving and never eating.”
- Oh, look, another reason to be embarrassed to be American!
- “Is Race Plastic? My Trip Into the ‘Ethnic Plastic Surgery’ Minefield” (Trigger warning: contains some racist language and concepts, including some that claim to transcend race and racism. Grrrr?)